Manually upgrade herolte to oreo
Warning : Downgrading Smartphones already on Android Q or LineageOS 17.x to Pie or from Pie OS to Oreo or Nougat can cause instability or at worst brick some devices.
- adb and fastbooot should be setup and working on your PC
To set up adb follow details provided here
- adb and fastboot need root rights in Linux and administrator rights in Windows.
In Linux prepend sudo to any adb or fastboot command For e.g. “sudo fastboot reboot” and in Windows start the command window as administrator.
For example to upgrade to /e/ Q the Android firmware should be Android 10 and for /e/ Pie it should be Android 9
Download of TWRP is not required if you already have it running on your herolte
Steps to Flash the Upgrade /e/OS ROM
Open a command window and change into the directory where you downloaded the files
- Take a complete backup of your phone data
- Ensure your herolte smartphone is fully charged
- Remove any pattern or PIN locks you may have set on your phone
you can set these up after the OS has been successfully installed on your phone
- If you already have TWRP recovery installed on your device
- skip steps 6 and 7
- Go directly into TWRP recovery (step 9)
- To do that reboot your device and during startup follow the steps as given here
- With the device powered off, hold Volume Up + Home + Power. When the blue text appears, release the buttons.
- To flash TWRP recovery
- Reboot your device and press volume-down during startup.
- This will bring the device into fastboot mode
- Flash the TWRP image in the fastboot mode by running below command in the PC
fastboot flash recovery twrpimagename.img
on some devices the below command may be required
fastboot boot twrpimagename.img
replace the twrpimagename.img with the name of the twrp image file name you downloaded previously the boot command will flash a temporary TWRP image on your smartphone
- Reboot the device via the command
and press volume-up while booting to go into TWRP recovery
- If your device is un-encrypted
- Continue with installing the new build as given in step 13
- If your device is encrypted
- Ensure you have taken a backup as proposed in step 2
- Continue to step 11
In TWRP wipe screen on your device click the format data button on the lower side to remove encryption
Select the Wipe button and in the wipe screen select system + data + cache and swipe to wipe
Sideload the /e/ .zip package
- On the device, In TWRP select
Advanced » ADB Sideload » then swipe to begin sideload
- On the host machine, sideload the package by running the below command
adb sideload /e/ OS image name.zip
replace the /e/ OS image name.zip with the name of the /e/ OS zip file name, e.g. adb sideload e-0.7-p-2020011437643-test-FP2.zip
Once the installation is successfully completed reboot system from the TWRP screen.
- Your herolte should now be running the oreo version of /e/..enjoy !!!
Answers to some questions you may have on the process
Why do I need to manually upgrade the OS
- The updater app does not support upgrades from one Android version to another. It will hide any update of a different version.
- We are working on resolving this issue.
- While this issue is resolved, users need to manually upgrade their OS.
- Upgrading manually requires similar steps to installing /e/OS for the first time.