Install /e/ on a Motorola Moto Z2 Force - “nash” (beta)
- Take a backup of all important data on your phone before proceeding.
- Ensure your phone is charged more than 50%
- Check that
fastbootare enabled on your PC. If not you can find the setup instructions here
- Download all the files and images mentioned in the download section below before starting the installation
- Make sure you have a working data cable to connect your device to the PC. There are cables which are only for charging and do not transfer data.
- Enable USB debugging on your device. You can find the instructions here
Downloads for the nash
/e/OS build : dev
Check the Pre-Install Instructions section below for some additional downloads for your device.
Unlocking the bootloader
- Connect the device to your PC via USB.
On the computer, open a command prompt (on Windows) or terminal (on Linux or macOS) window, and type:
adb reboot bootloader
Once the device is in fastboot mode, verify your PC finds it by typing:
Now type the following command to get the bootloader status:
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- Follow the instructions at Motorola Support to unlock your bootloader.
- Since the device resets completely, you will need to re-enable USB debugging to continue.
Temporarily Booting a custom recovery using
Connect your device to your PC via USB.
- On the computer, open a command prompt (on Windows) or terminal (on Linux or macOS) window, and type:
adb reboot bootloader
- Once the device is in fastboot mode, verify your PC finds it by typing:
- Temporarily flash a recovery on your device by typing:
fastboot flash recovery <recovery_filename>.img
on some devices the below command may be required
fastboot boot <recovery_filename>.img
fastboot flash boot <recovery_filename>.img
- Manually reboot into recovery mode
In some cases slot
b can be unpopulated or contain much older firmware than slot
a, leading to various issues including a potential hard-brick. We can ensure none of that will happen by copying the contents of slot
a to slot
This step is
To do this, sideload the
copy-partitions-20200903_1329.zip package by doing the following:
copy-partitions-20200903_1329.zipfile from here.
- On the device, select “Apply Update”, then “Apply from ADB” to begin sideload.
- On the host machine, sideload the package using:
adb sideload copy-partitions-20200903_1329.zip
Signature verification failed, this is expected, please click
Installing /e/ from recovery
Before proceeding ensure you have downloaded the /e/OS for your device, from the link given in the Downloads section above
If you aren’t already in recovery mode, reboot into recovery mode by typing the below command in the console of an adb enabled PC
adb reboot recoveryTip: You can also do this manually using the below key combination
- With the device powered off, hold Volume Down + Power.
In TWRP return to main menu, then tap
Format Dataand continue with the formatting process.
Here a new screen may show where you will have to type
Yesand confirm the action by clicking a button.Caution: Format Data will remove encryption as well as delete all files stored on the internal storage. Remember to take a backup first. Check Requirements section above.
Return to the previous menu and tap
Systempartitions to be wiped and then
Swipe to Wipe
Sideload the /e/ .zip package.Tip: Sideload requires actions in two places to be done. One on your phone in the TWRP UI and secondly on the connected PC which should have adb enabled. Also note the sideload process while running may stop abruptly around 50%. The console would show a message
Total xfer: 1.00x. This would mean that the transfer has successfully completed.
- On the device in TWRP,
ADB Sideload, then swipe to begin sideload.
- On the host machine, in the console , start the sideload of the package by typing
adb sideload filename.zipTip: Change the filename to the name of the file you downloaded
- On the device in TWRP,
Once installation has finished, return to the main menu, tap Reboot, and then System
To find some troubleshooting tips… click here
- Getting a
Total xFer ':' 0.01xmessage - Try to upload the /e/OS to internal storage and retry to install
adb ':' sideload connection failed ':' insufficient permissions for deviceerror - Try to execute the commands
adb start-serverand retry
adb shell twrp install /sdcard/</e/ zip package>raise non-existent directory error - Try to check solution here
- Getting an
insufficient permissionserror - Try the solution given here
- When running "adb devices" in bash a device is shown as "unauthorized" - Try the solution given here
- Errors while running TWRP version 3.4.x.x or above - Try downloading and using a previous TWRP version.. below 3.4.x.x
- In TWRP if this error shows up
failed to mount /preload- Try in TWRP
wipescreen in advanced menu select
swipe to wipe
/cache/recovery/xxx -> no such file or directoryerror while flashing a ROM - On PC run
adb shellin the console now create a folder called recovery for e.g. here the devicecode name is violet "violet :/cache# mkdir recovery"