Install /e/ on a Fairphone FP2 - “FP2”
Very important: please read the following carefully before proceeding!
Installing a new operating system on a mobile device can potentially:
- lead to all data destruction on the device
- make it an unrecoverable brick.
So please only flash your device if you know what you are doing and are OK with taking the associated risk.
The /e/ project and its project members deny any and all responsibility about the consequences of using /e/ software and/or /e/ services.
- Highly recommended: it is recommended that you have an /e/ account (like: firstname.lastname@example.org) if you want to benefit from /e/ account integration for all online services such as: email, drive, calendar, notes, tasks. Register for your free /e/ account.
- Make sure your computer has working
fastboot. Setup instructions can be found here.
- Enable USB debugging on your device.
- Please read through the instructions at least once completely before actually following them to avoid any problems because you missed something!
Installing a custom recovery
- Download a custom recovery - you can download TWRP.
- Connect your device to your PC via USB.
On the computer, open a command prompt (on Windows) or terminal (on Linux or macOS) window, and type
adb reboot bootloader
Once the device is in fastboot mode, verify your PC finds it by typing
Flash recovery onto your device
fastboot flash recovery twrp-x.x.x-x-FP2.img
- Now reboot into recovery to verify the installation
Download /e/ for FP2
- dev (pie)
Installing /e/ from custom recovery
- Download the /e/ install package that you’d like to install from here.
If you aren’t already in recovery mode, reboot into recovery mode:
adb reboot recovery
- Optional Tap the Backup button to create a backup. Make sure the backup is created in the external sdcard or copy it onto your computer as the internal storage will be formatted.
- Go back to return to main menu, then tap Wipe.
- Now tap Format Data and continue with the formatting process. This will remove encryption as well as delete all files stored on the internal storage.
- Return to the previous menu and tap Advanced Wipe.
- Select the Cache and System partitions to be wiped and then Swipe to Wipe.
- Sideload the /e/ .zip package:
- On the device, select “Advanced”, “ADB Sideload”, then swipe to begin sideload.
On the host machine, sideload the package using:
adb sideload filename.zip
- Once installation has finished, return to the main menu, tap Reboot, and then System