Install /e/ on a Fairphone FP3 - “FP3”
Very important: please read the following carefully before proceeding!
Installing a new operating system on a mobile device can potentially:
- lead to all data destruction on the device
- make it an unrecoverable brick.
So please only flash your device if you know what you are doing and are OK with taking the associated risk.
The /e/ project and its project members deny any and all responsibility about the consequences of using /e/ software and/or /e/ services.
- Highly recommended: it is recommended that you have an /e/ account (like: firstname.lastname@example.org) if you want to benefit from /e/ account integration for all online services such as: email, drive, calendar, notes, tasks. Register for your free /e/ account.
- Make sure your computer has working
fastboot. Setup instructions can be found here.
Please ensure you follow the instructions for adb and Fastboot setup exactly as given in the previous step to avoid unexpected issues during device setup.
- Enable USB debugging on your device.
- Please read through the instructions at least once completely before actually following them to avoid any problems because you missed something!
Unlock the bootloader
- Allow the bootloader unlocking by following the official FP3 unlock documentation
- Reboot the device on fastboot mode by running
adb reboot bootloader(or press
Volume -if your device is off)
- Once on fastboot mode, unlock the device by running
fastboot flashing unlock
On previous versions of
fastboot, the command is
fastboot oem unlock
- The device will ask you to confirm the unlocking. Confirm by selecting UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER and confirm with
- The device reboot automatically. It will show a warning. Press
Volume -to display boot options, select
fastbootand confirm with
Powerto reboot on fastboot
Download /e/ for FP3
- dev (pie)
Installing /e/ from the bootloader
Unzip the archive
Install /e/ using the following commands (from fastboot mode)
fastboot -w fastboot flash system system.img fastboot flash boot boot.img fastboot flash vendor vendor.img fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img fastboot flash product product.img fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img fastboot flashing lock
The last command will ask you to confirm on the device to lock the bootloader. Select LOCK THE BOOTLOADER with
Volume +and valid with
On previous version of
fastboot, the last command is
fastboot oem lock
Enjoy! The device reboot automatically on /e/.
fastboot error ?
On some versions of
fastbootyou may get an error while running the
Fastboot flash boot boot.imgcommand
The below error may show up on the console
Fastboot error: couldn’t parse partition size ‘0x’
- A workaround for this error is as under. Run this command on the console:
Fastboot getvar current-slot
- This would show the current active slot. For e.g. if it shows
a, run the below command
Fastboot --set-active=b Fastboot flash boot_b boot.img
To find some troubleshooting tips… click here
adb related errors
- Getting a
Total xFer ':' 0.01xmessage - Upload the /e/OS to internal storage and retry to install
adb ':' sideload connection failed ':' insufficient permissions for deviceerror - Execute the commands
adb start-serverand retry
Still need help to complete the installation ?
Check out these guides: [HOW-TO] Flash /e/-OS on Fairphone 3 using Debian based GNU/Linux