Install /e/ on a Fairphone FP3/3+ - “FP3” (beta)
- If required take a backup of all important data from your phone on an external storage device before proceeding.
- Do not take a backup on the same device as some of these actions will format the device and delete the backup.
- Ensure your phone is charged more than 50%
- Check that
fastbootare enabled on your PC. If not you can find the setup instructions here
- Download all the files and images mentioned in the download section below before starting the installation
Make sure you have a working data cable to connect your device to the PC. There are cables which are only for charging and do not transfer data.
Your device requires a code to unlock the bootloader. Get the code here before proceeding with the next steps
- Enable USB debugging on your device. You can find the instructions here
Downloads for the FP3
Try the /e/ Recovery (limited functionality)
To understand the difference between /e/OS builds check this guide
Unlock the bootloader
- Allow the bootloader unlocking by following the official FP3 unlock documentation
- Reboot the device on fastboot mode by running
adb reboot bootloader(or press
Volume -if your device is off)
- Once on fastboot mode, unlock the device by running
fastboot flashing unlock
On previous versions of
fastboot, the command is
fastboot oem unlock
- The device will ask you to confirm the unlocking. Confirm by selecting UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER and confirm with
- The device reboot automatically. It will show a warning. Press
Volume -to display boot options, select
fastbootand confirm with
Powerto reboot on fastboot
Installing /e/ from the bootloader
Unzip the archive
fileyoudownloadedwith the name of the archive file you downloaded . You can unzip the files into the folder where you copied the fastboot files.
Alternately you can create a folder and unzip the archive there.
In the second case the below commands will need the path to the folder where you unzipped the archive.
Install /e/ using the following commands (from fastboot mode)
fastboot -w fastboot flash system_a system.img -S 522239K fastboot flash boot_a boot.img fastboot flash vendor_a vendor.img -S 522239K fastboot flash dtbo_a dtbo.img fastboot flash vbmeta_a vbmeta.img fastboot flash system_b system.img -S 522239K fastboot flash boot_b boot.img fastboot flash vendor_b vendor.img -S 522239K fastboot flash dtbo_b dtbo.img fastboot flash vbmeta_b vbmeta.img fastboot flashing lock
The last command will ask you to confirm on the device to lock the bootloader.
Select LOCK THE BOOTLOADER with
Volume +and valid with
On previous version of
fastboot, the last command is
fastboot oem lock
Enjoy! The device will now reboot automatically on /e/.
fastboot error ?
On some versions of
fastbootyou may get an error while running the
Fastboot flash boot boot.imgcommand
The below error may show up on the console
fastboot error: couldn’t parse partition size ‘0x’
A workaround for this error is as under. Run this command on the console:
fastboot getvar current-slot
This would show the current active slot. For e.g. if it shows
a, run the below command
fastboot --set-active=b fastboot flash boot_b boot.img
Still need help to complete the installation ?
Check out this document: An [install Guide]([HOW-TO] Flash /e/-OS on Fairphone 3 using Debian based GNU/Linux) for the FP3