Install /e/ on a Motorola Moto Z Play - “addison”
Very important: please read the following carefully before proceeding!
Installing a new operating system on a mobile device can potentially:
- lead to all data destruction on the device
- make it an unrecoverable brick.
So please only flash your device if you know what you are doing and are OK with taking the associated risk.
The /e/ project and its project members deny any and all responsibility about the consequences of using /e/ software and/or /e/ services.
- Highly recommended: it is recommended that you have an /e/ account (like: firstname.lastname@example.org) if you want to benefit from /e/ account integration for all online services such as: email, drive, calendar, notes, tasks. Register for your free /e/ account.
- Make sure your computer has working
fastboot. Setup instructions can be found here.
- Enable USB debugging on your device.
- Please read through the instructions at least once completely before actually following them to avoid any problems because you missed something!
Unlocking the bootloader
Warning: Unlocking the bootloader will erase all data on your device! Before proceeding, ensure the data you would like to retain is backed up to your PC and/or a online drive.
- Connect the device to your PC via USB.
On the computer, open a command prompt (on Windows) or terminal (on Linux or macOS) window, and type:
adb reboot bootloader
Once the device is in fastboot mode, verify your PC finds it by typing:
Now type the following command to get the bootloader status:
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- Follow the instructions at Motorola Support to unlock your bootloader.
- Since the device resets completely, you will need to re-enable USB debugging to continue.
Installing a custom recovery using
Download a custom recovery - you can download one here.
- Connect your device to your PC via USB.
- On the computer, open a command prompt (on Windows) or terminal (on Linux or macOS) window, and type:
adb reboot bootloader
You can also boot into fastboot mode via a key combination:
- With the device powered off, hold Volume Down + Power.
- Once the device is in fastboot mode, verify your PC finds it by typing:
- Flash recovery onto your device:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-x.x.x-x-addison.img
on some devices the below command may be required
fastboot boot twrp-x.x.x-x-addison.img
- Now reboot into recovery to verify the installation.
Download /e/ for addison
- dev (nougat)
Installing /e/ from custom recovery
- Download the /e/ install package that you’d like to install from here.
If you aren’t already in recovery mode, reboot into recovery mode:
adb reboot recovery
- Optional Tap the Backup button to create a backup. Make sure the backup is created in the external sdcard or copy it onto your computer as the internal storage will be formatted.
- Go back to return to main menu, then tap Wipe.
- Now tap Format Data and continue with the formatting process. This will remove encryption as well as delete all files stored on the internal storage.
- Return to the previous menu and tap Advanced Wipe.
- Select the Cache and System partitions to be wiped and then Swipe to Wipe.
- Sideload the /e/ .zip package:
- On the device, select “Advanced”, “ADB Sideload”, then swipe to begin sideload.
On the host machine, sideload the package using:
adb sideload filename.zip
- Once installation has finished, return to the main menu, tap Reboot, and then System