Install /e/ on a HTC One A9 (International GSM) - “hiaeuhl”
Very important: please read the following carefully before proceeding!
Installing a new operating system on a mobile device can potentially:
- lead to all data destruction on the device
- make it an unrecoverable brick.
So please only flash your device if you know what you are doing and are OK with taking the associated risk.
The /e/ project and its project members deny any and all responsibility about the consequences of using /e/ software and/or /e/ services.
Warning : Downgrading Smartphones already on Android Q or LineageOS 17.x to Pie or from Pie OS to Oreo or Nougat can cause instability or at worst brick some devices.
- Highly recommended: it is recommended that you have an /e/ account (like: email@example.com) if you want to benefit from /e/ account integration for all online services such as: email, drive, calendar, notes, tasks. Register for your free /e/ account.
- Make sure your computer has working
fastboot. Setup instructions can be found here.
Please ensure you follow the instructions for adb and Fastboot setup exactly as given in the previous step to avoid unexpected issues during device setup.
- Enable USB debugging on your device.
- Please read through the instructions at least once completely before actually following them to avoid any problems because you missed something!
Unlocking the bootloader
Warning: Unlocking the bootloader will erase all data on your device! Before proceeding, ensure the data you would like to retain is backed up to your PC and/or a online drive.
- Enable OEM unlock in the Developer options under device Settings, if present.
- Connect the device to your PC via USB.
On the computer, open a command prompt (on Windows) or terminal (on Linux or macOS) window, and type:
adb reboot bootloader
Once the device is in fastboot mode, verify your PC finds it by typing:
Now type the following command to obtain your bootloader unlock token:
fastboot oem get_identifier_token
- Visit the HTCDev Bootloader Unlock website and follow the instructions there to obtain your unlock key and unlock your bootloader. If your device does not appear in the drop-down list, select All Other Supported Models.
- If the device doesn’t automatically reboot, reboot it. It should now be unlocked.
- Since the device resets completely, you will need to re-enable USB debugging to continue.
Installing a custom recovery using
Download a custom recovery - you can download TWRP. Simply download the latest recovery file, named something like
- Connect your device to your PC via USB.
- On the computer, open a command prompt (on Windows) or terminal (on Linux or macOS) window, and type:
adb reboot bootloader
- Once the device is in fastboot mode, verify your PC finds it by typing:
- Flash recovery onto your device:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-x.x.x-x-hiaeuhl.img
on some devices the below command may be required
fastboot boot twrp-x.x.x-x-hiaeuhl.img
- Now reboot into recovery to verify the installation.
Download /e/ for hiaeuhl
- dev (nougat)
Installing /e/ from custom recovery
- Download the /e/ install package that you’d like to install from here.
If you aren’t already in recovery mode, reboot into recovery mode:
adb reboot recovery
- Optional Tap the Backup button to create a backup. Make sure the backup is created in the external sdcard or copy it onto your computer as the internal storage will be formatted.
- Go back to return to main menu, then tap Wipe.
- Now tap Format Data and continue with the formatting process. This will remove encryption as well as delete all files stored on the internal storage.
- Return to the previous menu and tap Advanced Wipe.
- Select the Cache and System partitions to be wiped and then Swipe to Wipe.
- Sideload the /e/ .zip package:
- On the device, select “Advanced”, “ADB Sideload”, then swipe to begin sideload.
On the host machine, sideload the package using:
adb sideload filename.zip
- Once installation has finished, return to the main menu, tap Reboot, and then System
To find some troubleshooting tips… click here
adb related errors
- Getting a
Total xFer ':' 0.01xmessage - Upload the /e/OS to internal storage and retry to install
adb ':' sideload connection failed ':' insufficient permissions for deviceerror - Execute the commands
adb start-serverand retry