What is the /e/OS easy-installer?
The Easy Installer is a Java desktop application which helps users install /e/ on supported devices.
In its current version the tool is a GUI which works on the Linux OS
- The easy-installer beta version supports 5 Samsung devices
- Samsung Galaxy S6 – Exynos only
- Samsung Galaxy S7 – Exynos only
- Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge – Exynos only
- Samsung Galaxy S9 – Exynos only
- Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus – Exynos only
Why are more devices and OS not supported?
The /e/ team cannot support all the work needed to add more devices or other operating systems. That’s why we ask the community to help us on:
- Porting the Easy Installer on Windows and MacOS
- the java software should run without big issues
- but script need to be ported
- Support new devices
- with its architecture based configuration files, it is easy to add new devices
- we share details on how you can add more devices in this document
How can I install the /e/OS easy-installer?
Here we cover installing the beta version for Linux only
Installing via the command line
Depending of your configuration, you may need to prefix the commands with
Open a console and type the below command to install the Easy Installer snap app
snap install easy-installer --channel=latest/beta
Installing the easy way !!
Here we use the Ubuntu Software application
Open the Ubuntu Software application. It should open a screen like this
- Go to the ‘Explore’ tab or click on the search icon
- Type in ‘easy-installer’ . This should fetch the /e/OS easy installer as shown below
- Click on the ‘install’ button to start the installation process -
- Depending on your configuration you may be asked to provide the admin user password to complete the installation
- Once the installation is complete you will see this screen
- Click on the Permissions button to view the permission needed for the easy-installer to run
Want to learn more about these Permission ?
adb support: allows the application to use `ADB` to communicate with device
gsettings: provides access to user gsettings to create the screen for the installer
network: Required to get access to internet for e.g. to download source or TWRP image
access USB hardware: is required to allow tools like Heimdall to work with the smartphone
Please note all these permissions are required for the easy-installer to work and need to be enabled
After the installation is complete a new icon should be available on your Computer as shown in the screenshot above
Click on it to open and try out our Easy Installer !!
I want to develop the source further. How can I help?
To build or improve upon the easy-installer code check the documentation here…
Send us your feedback & Contribute!
Please send us your feeback on the /e/OS Easy Installer by taking part in a survey . Please note this is an anonymous survey and no participant data will be collected.
Your feedback gives us an opportunity to improve the tool.
To discuss about the easy-installer project or get help on it come to our Community Forum.
Thank you in advance!